Fiber optic cable installations are on the rise nearly all across the country bringing high-speed internet to resident, office and educational institutions while updating the aging infrastructure of the U.S.
For integrators, installers, managers, and data center designers, the term “chaos” is a significant understatement for the jumble of patch cords they deal with during installation and regular maintenance.
For years, VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® products have proved their value as easy, reusable, safe, flexible bundling solutions that are gentle on fragile wires, cords and even fresh produce at the grocery store.
Recognizing the design importance of data centers and the need to efficiently manage the thousands of cables, we developed a new line of ONE-WRAP® tapes specifically for fiber optic cabling. Five colors – aqua, yellow, orange, Erika violet, and OM5 Green – correspond to the five primary cable jacket colors of fiber optic cables.
Beyond the aesthetic appeal of coordinating colors, utilizing ONE-WRAP® products can help to manage other fiber optic cabling challenges:
- Avoid injury: Keeping fiber cables bundled and affixed to server racks or hangers helps everyone avoid dangers like tripping which could cause bodily harm as well as damage fiber optic cables.
- Eliminate damage to cables: Unlike plastic zip ties, the re-usable ONE-WRAP® products will not crush the fiber optic cable’s fragile glass due to over tightening. As the ties are pre-cut, there’s no need for scissors or other cutting tools that can accidentally damage cables as well.
- Save money on energy costs: Jumbled cords can trap heat by blocking air flow; this means data center managers will need to turn the air conditioning down to keep server racks at optimal temperatures. Organized and bundled cords allow for adequate and appropriate air flow.
- Fix outages faster: The ability to see the entirety of a cable – without needing to untangle it from others – allows network managers to more easily identify problems and make repairs quickly.
- Add new network cables quickly: The ability to unbind and add a cable makes expanding your network easier and faster.
As a flexible and turnkey alternative to the plastic zip ties traditionally used in the data center and other fiber optic networks, ONE-WRAP® ties are pre-cut with a slotted head design that ensures; the strap stays tightly secured. They’re also water-and chemical-resistant, eco-friendly and made without potentially toxic chemicals often found in plastic (like BPA).
Before cable installation, the ONE-WRAP® Rolls and Ties can assist in the organization when transporting patch cords to job sites. Once organized appropriately using ONE-WRAP® Ties or Rolls, cables can be labeled and arranged accordingly. And if cords need to be re-organized and re-purposed, ONE-WRAP® Ties are easy to unfasten and reuse.
Learn more about cable management and our flagship cable management solution, VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® products here:
VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Rolls for Fiber Optic Cables